It’s been a while since I’ve posted – working a compressed shift will do that to you….
So, last week I was hungry, I was tired, and I didn’t want to have to think while I was cooking. This is a lovely mixture – a bit like a savoury rice pudding with a crunchy, sweet and spicy onion chutney for contrast.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped.
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- salt to taste
- Mix everything together in a glass bowl (plastic will stain).
- Place in the fridge and leave until the dal is cooked.
- 100g red lentils
- 25g dried coconut milk powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g rice
- 250 – 400 ml water (keep some hot in the kettle as you’ll need to add as you go along)
- garam masala
- Mix everything except the garam masala together in a large pan.
- Add 250 ml water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- If the dal begins to thicken and catch, add 50 – 100 ml more hot water and continue to stir. You are aiming for a thick, rice-pudding consistency.
- Just before you are ready to serve the dal, add 1/4 tsp garam masala (or to taste) and stir through thoroughly.